If you work in an area where you are not required to wear a safety toe work boot and where no hazards require this type of work boot, you can easily choose a soft toe work boot.
The Soft toe work boot is still an industrial, safety work boot, but will not have a steel, composite, or alloy toe cap, offering very little to no toe protection.
The soft toe work but is more suitable for less harsh work environments, and can still be waterproof and electrical hazard safe.
Often, a soft toe work boot, called a non-protective work boot, does not have safety steel, alloy, or composite toe cap. It is a much more lightweight and comfortable work boot, in turn, because of this fact.
Soft Toe Work Boots and Their Functions
The Soft toe work boot is the same as any other work boot with the difference that they have a soft toe rather than a safety steel, composite, or alloy protective toe.
Not every job site or occupation requires you to wear a safety toe work boot. If your toes are not in danger of getting crushed by a falling object or heavy machinery, there is no need for a steel or other hard protective toe cap.
Most soft-toe work boots are durable and resistant enough to offer some toe protection, and the toe protects your feet against minor bumps, abrasions, and accidents.
One of the biggest issues with safety toe work boots is that they are often uncomfortable, especially steel toe work boots.
The steel cap toe boot can be heavy and restrictive, and the steel can get cold or hot depending on the weather and is quite a problem with security entrances as it sets off the alarms.
Steel toe work boots are also not always electrical hazard safe.
I love a soft-toe work boot because it is extremely lightweight on your feet, especially when you are on your feet all day and in warmer work environments.
How do Steel and Soft toe Work Boots Compare?
There are some differences and pros and cons between steel and soft-toe work boots.
Soft-toe work boots have entirely different construction and purposes than steel-toe work boots.
Comparison Between Steel Toe and Soft Toe Boots
- Steel Toe Work Boots – The Steel Toe work boot is reinforced with a steel toe cap to protect you from falling objects, punctures, cuts, and compression. They are preferred in hazardous work environments as a part of your safety gear. Steel-toe work boots likewise tend to be very durable and more long-lasting. Steel toe work boots are reasonably affordable, and they are the most protective safety work boots and durable work boots for a very hazardous and daunting work environment. With technology today, steel-toe work boots are designed with proper comfort and support features. On the downside, a steel-toe work boot will always be quite heavy on your feet. Some individuals have complained that the steel toe becomes cold, hot, or uncomfortable over time.
- Soft Toe Work Boots – Soft toe work boots have no solid or other material in the toe cap area. Some soft-toe work boots may have a reinforced toe using composite materials or rubber for abrasion resistance and a different leather or fabric for durability. Soft toe work boots are an excellent alternative in areas where steel toe work boots are prohibited for their magnetic properties or can set off a security alarm. Soft-toe work boots are perfect for less hazardous work environments and are quite durable and lightweight. However, a soft-toe work boot offers little to no protection against compression, falling objects, or cutting hazards. Soft-toe work boots are generally less durable than steel-toe safety work boots.
Features of a Good Soft Toe Work Boot
- Uppers – Soft-toe work boots generally have genuine and durable leather uppers. Some may have a rubber toe cap for reinforcement and protection. They will not have a protective toe but a more rounded or moc-style soft one.
- Comfort Features – Although most work boots aim more at safety and durability, it is still important to look for features for the comfort and support of your feet. A Cushioned footbed or insole helps absorb impact, while arch support and stability features help keep your feet aligned.
- Safety Features – Other than not having a protective toe, the soft toe work boot is, in turn, electrical hazards safe, and most may be waterproof and are slip-resistant or slip and oil resistant.
- Outsole – The outsole will most likely be a durable high abrasion-resistant rubber that is either slip-resistant or slip and oil-resistant.
- Options – Most work boot models are available in one or more, typically neutral color options and plenty of sizes.
Reviews: The Best Soft Toe Work Boots
- The Weldor from Ever boots has a soft and comfortable toe; it is a durable leather power boot that is slip resistant without the protection of a steel or composite toe cap.
- They are 100% leather with a softer wedge-style sole.
- The work boots are durable and have an EVA and rubber outsole.
- They do not have many safety features but are lightweight and comfortable for general work environments.
- The Carhartt work boot has a wedge sole and a soft moccasin-style toe.
- They are 100% leather and have a slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- The work boots are ASTM-rated electrical hazard safe.
- They also feature Strom defender breathable waterproofing.
- From Carhartt, we have soft-toe pull-on work boots.
- As you will see, they have an easy pull-on and-off design with a soft toe and are fully waterproof.
- These work boots are ASTM-rated electrical hazards safely and are quite lightweight.
- Furthermore, there is a slip-resistant rubber outsole.
- The Keen Utility Vernon is a soft-toe waterproof work boot.
- The uppers are made of a textile material, and the boot is fully waterproof.
- The rubber outsole is oil and slip-resistant.
- The work boots have a comfortable footbed and are electrical hazard safe.
- The Irish Setter work boots are 100% leather with a soft toe.
- They have a rubber and EVA softer traction tread and outsole.
- The outsole is heat resistant, and I recommend this as a Paver work boot.
- There is an UltraDRy waterproof membrane, and the work boot is electrical hazard safe.
- From Blundstone, we have the pull-on soft-toe work boot for ladies.
- The uppers are water-repellent suede leather, and there is a Thermo urethane outsole.
- The work boot easily slips on and off.
- It is very lightweight and durable, with more colors available.
Index Table: Top Rated Soft Toe Work Boots
|1||Ever Boots Men's Weldor - Work Boot with Soft Moc Toe||Ever Boots||98|
|2||Carhartt Men's Wedge Sole - Soft Toe Waterproof Work Boot||Carhartt||97.9|
|3||Carhartt Men's Pull On - Soft Toe Pull On Work Boot||Carhartt||97|
|4||Keen Men's Utility Vernon - Soft Toe Work Book||Keen||97|
|5||Irish Setter Men's Wingshooter - Soft Toe Work Boot||Irish Setter||97.8|
|6||Blundstone Women's 1351 - Chelsea Work Boot||Blundstone||96.5|
Table of Contents
- Soft Toe Work Boots and Their Functions
- How do Steel and Soft toe Work Boots Compare?
- Features of a Good Soft Toe Work Boot
- Reviews: The Best Soft Toe Work Boots
- Index Table: Top Rated Soft Toe Work Boots